Gender Equality in Higher Education: Family Friendliness and Protection Against Discrimination
Wednesday, 22 March 2023, 9:30 a.m. – 12:45 p.m.
Please contact organiser for further details
This online seminar is dedicated to equality in higher education from the perspective of labor law. First, participants will be given an overview of the legal regulations for protection against discrimination in the context of employment. Existing possibilities for action, the limits of legal protection, as well as who is covered under that protection will be also be explained. Another focus of the online seminar is to show the legal framework that applies to family-friendly employment at institutions of higher education. This can already become relevant during the hiring process, e.g. in terms of which questions can be asked to applicants during a job interview. Options for structuring working hours and the extension of fixed-term contracts for early-career researchers according to the WissZeitVG also play a significant role for academic careers.
General Equal Treatment Act and protection against discrimination
- General Equal Treatment Act (Allgemeines Gleichbehandlungsgesetz; AGG)
- Further foundations of protection against discrimination in the workplace
Gender equality and family-friendliness in employment
- Protection during pregnancy, maternity leave
- Part-time work, family part-time work
- Arrangement of working hours
- Family-related extension of fixed-term employment contracts according to WissZeitVG