Closing the Gap: Gender Awareness for Men in Academia
Date and time
Tuesday, 27 April 2021, 9 a.m. – 6 p.m. –
Wednesday, 28 April 2021, 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. (one-on-on sessions)
Male doctoral candidates and male postdoctoral researchers.
Please contact organisers for further information about language
Further information and registration
This seminar aims to support participants in learning how to become proactive “agents for change” to promote greater gender equality within the closely interconnected professional and personal contexts.
Participants are helped to identify situations characterised by structural gender inequality within the academic context and to develop a plan to address them. They also explore how gender imbalances in private life emerge and how they could be recomposed. The underlying assumption is that private and professional gender imbalances are closely interconnected and that men (as much as women) can and should play a key role in addressing them. In one-to-one meetings Participants furthermore have the opportunity to discuss their specific situation, the challenges they are facing and possible ways forward to promote greater gender equality within the academic context (and beyond).
- Exploring gender inequality issues in the academic and professional context.
- Developing a plan of action to systemically address these challenges.
- Understanding the reasons behind the development of work-life imbalances.
- Investigating possible approaches conducive to a greater work-life balance.
- Helping participants to view themselves as proactive “agents for change”.