Balancing PhD Studies with Family Life
This brochure covers a wide range of issues relating to the topic of completing a doctorate and having a family, providing information in a both concise and comprehensible form. It was initiated and implemented by Uta Caroline Sommer and Juliane Schiweck, both decentral women’s representatives of the Humboldt Graduate School. In June 2018 it was awarded the title “Family-Friendly Project 2018” by the Family Office of Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin.
It serves as an excellent resource, covering topics such as:
- the various current financing models for a doctorate (budget post, third-party funding, scholarships and other financing options), including information on parental leave, parental benefit, health insurance, etc. for the various financial framework conditions
- information on occupational safety for pregnant doctoral students and practical tips on everyday compatibility
- a checklist for doctoral candidates for the period of pregnancy, maternity leave, parental allowance and parental leave as well as a guide for supervisors and doctoral supervisors
- also covers the topics of nursing care and other care agreements
- two interviews with doctoral students as best practice examples and an extensive link and literature list.
The brochure can be viewed and downloaded here.